Since 1923, The Piushaven connects the center of Tilburg with Eindhoven, Antwerp and the Randstad, via the Wilhelminakanaal. The port has been used extensively in the first years to bring sand, grid and coal into the city.
The harbor’s importance decreased in the sixties with the rise of road transport, the construction of the national highway system and the disappearance of industrial sites from the city. The southern branch was even filled in in 1983. The protest that followed ensured the port’s preservation afterwards. In recent years, the area has been developed into a bustling expansion of the city center.